Sunday, January 17, 2010

Progress

Been a good week, at least I think so. Did get a chance to get in my sewing room, put the borders on my "Blooming Tree of Life" and "Bears Paw with Claws" and have been diligently working on the trapunto design for the center space in the Tree of Life quilt. Pretty good for a gal who can't draw a straight line with a ruler!

Now...if I can translate that sketch into the actual quilting?!? But, hey, that's the fun part, right? At least it's always a surprise. Sometimes we start on one direction, and wind up in another. That's part of what I love about quilting; you do have the creative freedom to go in the direction that it leads.

I remember one quilt I designed years ago, a "Truly Feathered Feathered Star". I had made all the blocks, just had to sew them together. Well, my daughter was supposed to be taking a nap, but when I went to check on her, she was in my sewing room, cutting my blocks apart! Yikes!!!!! Without enough fabric to re-make the blocks, I drew a peacock (a feathered star in his own right) and made him the center focal point of the quilt. See, start in one direction, and end in another! That's where creative freedom can be a true blessing!

So, we'll see...where will this quilt take me? I guess we'll find out once the stitching begins!

No comments: