Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Quilts are more than the sum of their parts


I know, I know, I lapsed! This new job has proven to be much more time consuming than I'd originally thought. But, excuses, excuses, RIGHT?

I did have a few people from my new job over recently. You know how it is, as you're trying to get to know people, you ask ALOT of questions...family? kids? music? hobbies? etc???

When I told my new co-workers that one of my greatest joys was quilting, they just kinda 'shrugged it off'. Visions of quilts made from shirts and dresses must have been dancing through their heads! However, as they came here, I saw their visions change.

Most of my quilts are very traditional, but I do have a few of those "artsy" ones hanging around. When everyone saw this one, I believe their opinions of quilting changed. They leaarned, as have I, that quilts can be hung on walls, be decorative, even hold 'center stage'. But mostly, what quilts bring us is joy and comfort. They give us warmth. They bring back memories. Somehow, surrounded by one, we feel nurtured, safe, and secure.

Quilts are much more than the scraps they're made of; they are part of the fabric of our lives. How wonderful it is to be a quilter, how happy I am to be one!

2 comments:

Kelly Ann said...

Karen, quilts are the scraps of our lives. Kelly

Catherine said...

Such a beautiful quilt, Karen. We miss you and miss seeing all of your gorgeous works of art. I imagine you will be inspiring a whole new group of new quilters now!